Online gameplay is made possible on the PlayStation 3 console thanks to its network server. There are a number of errors that occur with online PS3 gameplay, and one of the most recurrent is that the IP (Internet Protocol) address cannot be obtained, which prevents the console from launching correctly. If your PS3 cannot is having trouble acquiring an IP address, this FAQ will walk you through how to fix it.
PlayStation 3 Not Obtaining an IP Address
Before beginning, make sure that you do not have a uPNP downloaded. If you do, you will need to disable it. Before moving on, check if this has not already resolved your issue.
Now, go to Wireless Network in your console's Network Settings. Disable the MAC filtering feature (enabled by default), and try to connect again.
If the aforementioned procedure does not work, you will need to try locating an IP address manually. Turn off your PS3, and unplug both your cable modem and your wireless router. Wait 30 seconds, plug the modem in, and wait for status light to stop blinking. Next, plug the router in and wait for status light to stop blinking.
Turn on your PS3. Go to Connection Settings and, instead of selecting Easy, choose Custom. Scan the window, and do not make any changes so that the program can select everything, including your DNS server (i.e. your IP address), automatically.
Image: © jeshoots - Unsplash.com
- Ps3 can't obtain ip address
- Ps3 won't obtain ip address - Best answers
- The attempt to obtain an ip timed out - Best answers
- Playstation 3 won't obtain the IP address ✓ - Forum - PS3/PS4
- Ps3 will not obtain an ip address? ✓ - Forum - PS3/PS4
- Ps3 failing to obtain ip address ✓ - Forum - PS3/PS4
- Fixing Your PS3 Network Connection ✓ - Forum - PS3/PS4
- Ps3 connection ✓ - Forum - PS3/PS4