This article helps users to enable/disable a tag from the command line in a few easy steps. We will show you how to carry out this activity on Windows OS by installing DevCon. This software displays all devices and thus the user can enable or disable a device according to their needs and usually comes installed when you install WDK, Visual Studio, and the Windows SDK.
How to install DevCon?
This allows you enable/disable your internet connection (or network card) on the command line.
- 1. To download, go to the Microsoft website.
- 2. Once downloaded, unpack the file
- 3. Copy \i386\devcon.exe to c:\windows\system32
- 4. Locate the device that you want. In the command prompt type:
devcon find *
How to display all the devices in the system?
- In the command prompt, type
devcon find *> list.txt
- To get the list in a file
- For example, my network card Accton appears as:
PCI\VEN_1113&DEV_1211&SUBSYS_12111113&REV_10\3&13C0B0C5&0&48: Accton EN1207D Series PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #2
- Choose a piece of the string that identifies the device, and verify it is unique:
c:\>devcon find *VEN_1113 PCI\VEN_1113&DEV_1211&SUBSYS_12111113&REV_10\3&13C0B0C5&0&48: Accton EN1207D Ser ies PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter #2 1 matching device(s) found.
- Make sure that "VEN_1113" means a single network card.
How to enable/disable the device?
devcon disable *VEN_1113 devcon enable *VEN_1113
This allows me to enable/disable my network card (and therefore my internet connection) from the command line.
What about other devices?
- The floppy disk drive is:
ACPI\PNP0700\3&13C0B0C5&0 : standard disk controller
To disable/enable it:
devcon disable * PNP0700
This eliminates the floppy drive system!
- To prevent your computer from beeping:
ROOT\LEGACY_BEEP\0000 : Beep
- Cmd disable device
- Disable device command line windows 10
- Devcon disable
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10 > Guide
- Disable USB disconnect sound: Windows 10, Windows 8.1 > Guide
- How to lock or unlock the touchpad on HP laptop: Windows 10 > Guide
- Get a computer name from IP address in a LAN: command line > Guide
- Disable and enable firewall from command line: Windows XP > Guide
- How to save ping report in text file?
- Fix the Windows security bug: Print Nightmare
- Clear RAM on Windows: via cmd, shortcut, without rebooting
- Turn off automatic updates on Windows: 7, 8, and 10
- Microsoft Windows 11: release date, download, beta, update
- Install apps on Windows 10: via Run, without Microsoft store
- Disable password at login: On Windows 7/8.1/10
- How to enable the screen reader: on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- How to check power usage on Windows PC?
- Network PC asking for username and password: Windows 10
- How to open MSI file: on Mac, in Android, in Windows 10
- Stop CMD from closing: automatically, after running program
- How to create an icon in Paint
- Java update tab missing: Windows 10
- Execute a script in Windows: at startup and shutdown
- Fix disk boot failure: Windows XP, 7, 8, 10
- Set up your MagicJack: On Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP
- Enable or disable the welcome screen: Windows 7, 8, 10, 11
- Corrupted driver: Code 39, Windows 10,
- Disable right click: Windows 10, Windows 11
- How to use TV as second monitor: with HDMI, Windows 10
- Command prompt: Windows 10, commands, shortcut
- Stay online when switching user account: Windows
- Exe files not opening: Windows 7, Windows 10, Vista, XP
- Most common Windows error codes and how to fix them
- Computer error codes list and solutions
- Start/Stop a Service on Windows: command line, 10
- Removing the files remaining after uninstalling a program
- How to check software installed date in Windows
- Restart Windows without restarting computer: Windows 10
- How to disable network sharing on Windows Media Player?
- How to enable/disable administrator account in Windows?
- How to know if you need more RAM on Windows 10?
- ipconfig command: in Windows, not found
- How to rip copy protected CD: Windows Media Player
- How to eject USB flash drive with a keyboard shortcut?
- How to create an Autorun.inf file: in Windows 7
- How to enable touchpad: Windows 10, on laptop
- Reset PC to factory settings: Windows 11, 10, 8.1
- Restore a Windows PC to factory settings without disc
- How to rotate multiple images: at once, Windows 10
- Disable print spooler: on Windows 7, 10, 11
- .exe is Not a Valid Win32 Application: fix Windows 7, XP
- Windows volume icon: not working, not showing
- How to change account name in Windows 8.1
- Recover deleted music files in Windows Media Player
- How to fix Limited or No Connectivity issues on Windows?
- How to stop my Windows background from changing?
- Delete file in Windows: CMD, 10
- Start Windows computer in safe mode: via cmd, settings
- How to verify Windows license
- Disable print spooler service: in domaine controllers
- Enable automatic sign-in: on Windows 10, 8, 7
- Customize the mouse pointer in Windows 8, 10
- How to disable network access to Windows registry?
- Disable touchpad: when mouse is connected, Windows 10
- Disable Deepfreeze: from Command Prompt, without password
- Add a printer in Windows 8.1, 10
- Md5sum download and how to use
- How to turn off the camera on Windows
- How to fix a blue screen on Windows
- Desktop icons missing Windows: 10, 7, after update
- How to uninstall apps on Microsoft Surface
- How to disable or enable the Encrypting File System: Windows
- Disable the Touchpad when mouse is connected: Windows 11, 10
- How to change desktop icons in Windows
- Kernel Stack Inpage Error on Windows: how to fix?
- How to open the Control Panel: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to share files between two Windows PCs?
- Improve your PC performance: for gaming, without formatting
- Change computer system language: Windows 7, Windows 10
- How to check the Windows version: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Best apps to update your Windows drivers
- Unable to install .NET Framework Error Message 0xc8000222
- Enable admin account in Windows 7, 8, 10
- Windows task manager missing menus and tabs
- How to backup Windows data: with .bat
- How to fix HDMI audio from laptop to TV: Windows 11,10,8,7
- HAL is missing in Windows
- Windows CLIP command
- How to create desktop shortcuts: Windows 11,10,8,7
- How to change the default OS in dual boot: Windows 11,10,8,7
- Disc boot failure Windows
- How to add the Run command to Start menu: Windows 11,10,8.1
- MSOCache delete
- Safely Remove Hardware icon missing in Windows
- How to check laptop battery health: windows 8, 10
- How to set Command Prompt size: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- How to turn off airplane mode: Windows 11,10,8.1,8
- How to clear recent files: Windows 11,10,8.1
- USB hard drive not showing up: Windows
- How to reduce data usage: Windows 11, 10
- How to show the preview pane: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7
- How to fix sound problems: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to disable or enable Autoplay: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to turn off Firewall: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- How to show desktop icons in Windows 10
- How to change the date and time: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Your security settings do not allow this file to be dowloaded
- How to stop automatic restart: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, XP