On occasion files and folders become hidden on external drives, PC hard drives and USBs after being misplaced, accidentally moved, or possibly from a virus. There are three solutions that allow you to access hidden files: use data recovery software, use Attrib Command, use Windows Control Panel. This article will show you each of these methods, and help you access hidden files.
How To Find Hidden Files
With Data Recovery Software
- First remove the autorun.inf file.
- Download Autorun Exterminator.
- Extract it > Double-click on AutorunExterminator > Plug your pendrive now.
- This will remove the autorun.inf files from drives and plug your handy drive to remove the autorun.inf file also from it.
Note: Make sure Dot Net Framework is installed in your PC or download the Dot Net Framework from theMicrosoft.
With Attrib Command
- Click on Start > Run > type cmd and press Enter.
- Here I assume your pendrive drive letter as G:
- Enter this command:
attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*
- You can copy the above command > Right-click in the Command Prompt and paste it.
- Note: You need to replace the letter G with your pen drive's letter.
- Now check for your files.
Here is a quick explanation of what the various Attrib Commands mean:
+r = This assigns the read-only file attribute to the file or directory.
-r = This removes the read-only attribute.
+s = This assigns the system file attribute to the file or directory.
-s = This removes the system attribute.
+h = This assigns the hidden file attribute to the file or directory.
-h = This removes the hidden attribute.
+c = This assigns the compressed file attribute to the file or directory.
-c = This removes the compressed attribute.
With Windows Control Panel
- Click on Start > Run > type Control Folders and press Enter.
- Folder Options will be opened. Click on the View tab.
- Now select the option Show hidden files, folders or drives and uncheck the checkbox Hide protected operating system files > Click on OK button.
- Now look for your hidden files in your drive.
Note: Undo the changes you have made by once again going to Folder Options > Click on View tab and click on Restore Defaults button > Click on OK.
After that, download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Update it > Perform Full Scan
- Note: The default selected option is "Quick Scan".
- Attrib command
- Attrib command in cmd - Best answers
- Cmd attrib command - Best answers
- How to see hidden files in windows 10 - How-To - Android
- Cannot see hidden files in windows 10 ✓ - Forum - Windows
- Unhide files hidden by virus windows 10 ✓ - Forum - Pen Drive/USB Key/SD Card
- Can't view hidden files windows 10 bitdefender ✓ - Forum - Windows
- Show hidden files in recycle bin windows 10 - Guide