Restoring the computer to its
will do just that - putting the system back to the
settings which it had when it came from the factory
.This can be helpful from the users point of view in situations when modifications to settings hampered the proper functioning of the system. With
, unnecessary files will also not appear as the computer will be returned to its
.To reset to
, Gateway Computers can be of great help for Windows based computers.
of the Gateway Computers
software will enable the computer to return to its original settings.
Reset a Gateway computer to factory settings
I have a Gateway M-7315U and I am trying to reset my computer back to its factory settings and can't figure out how to do it.
This option restarts the computer and restores it to the factory installation of Windows using Gateway Recovery Management.
1. From the Windows Vista default Start menu, click All Programs >Gateway > Gateway Recovery Management
2. In the Gateway Recovery Management window, click Restore, and then Restore system to factory default
3. In the Confirm Restoration dialog box, select Yes, and then click Start
Note: You are prompted to enter your password if a password was set
4. In the Confirm Restoration dialog box, click OK
5. The computer restarts
6. Windows loads files
7. The Please wait a moment screen is displayed
8. In the Restore from factory default dialog box, click Next
9. In the Destination Disk Information dialog box, click Next
10. In the Notice dialog box, click OK
11. The hard drive partition is created
12. The factory default installation is copied to the hard drive
13. In the Finished dialog box, click OK
14. The Please wait a moment screen is displayed and then the computer restarts
15. Windows prepares to start for the first time - this may take a few minutes
16. Windows continues setting up the computer
17. The computer restarts
18. In the Set up Windows screen, click Next
19. In the Please read the license terms screen, select 'I accept the license terms' for each item and then click Next.
20. In the Choose a user name and picture screen, enter the appropriate information and click Next
21. In the Type a computer name and choose a desktop background screen, enter the appropriate information and click Next
22. In the Help protect Windows automatically screen, click Use recommended settings
23. In the Review your time and date settings screen, select the appropriate settings, and then click Next
24. In the Select your computer's current location screen, click the appropriate option
25. In the Thank You screen, click Start
26. Windows checks the computers performance
Depending on your hardware, this process could take up to 15 minutes to complete
27. Windows prepares the desktop
28. The Gateway Recovery Management is installed
29. Installation is complete Note
Thanks to xpcman for this tip on the forum.