An Autorun.inf file enables the automatic running of CD files on your computer. When you insert a CD/DVD into the drive, this application allows the files to run without manual prompting. They are in synchronization with the system configuration. Autorun has been popularised by Windows and it saves a lot of time and effort for the user.
This document explains how to form an autorun inf file. It also tells you how to customize the icon text and icon menu. When we insert a CD, we find that the files on it can be run automatically. This is a utility provided for users by Windows.
However, before we can use it we need to verify if it is enabled on our system. Running a file automatically saves a lot of time and effort.
This article gives us an insight into creating such file and customizing the icon text and menu.
Windows provide users with a simple utility that automatically runs applications of a CD when inserted into the CD drive.
To make use of this option, you must verify that it is enabled under your system configuration.
This procedure is due to the "Autorun.inf" (primary instruction file associated with the Autorun utility) found at the root directory of the CD.
Creating an Autorun.inf file
First, create a new (text-only) file and name it as Autorun.inf. Once created, open it with your favorite text editor and type in the following syntax:
It should be like this :
If the selected application is found in a subfolder, the path must be specified:
If an argument is passed for the application to be autoplayed:
Customizing the icon
If you want to change the default icon, add the following syntax:
The icon file should also reside in the root directory of the CD.
Customizing the icon text
Simply add the following command line:
Customizing the icon menu
To edit the menu that appears when you right-click on the icon, simply add the following syntax:
Keep in mind that the following parameters should be defined:
shell\*\command and shell\* are the keywords: firstly for defining the application to be executed and secondly for the text displayed in the menu.
- Autorun file
- Autorun.inf example
- Create autorun.inf
- Autorun.inf virus > Guide
- Download autorun.inf file for usb > Télécharger
- Hot to delete autorun.inf [solved] > Forum - Viruses/Security
- Autorun.inf Access Denied [solved] > Forum - Viruses/Security
- How to remove autorun.inf virus , open hidden [solved] > Forum - Viruses/Security
- How to save ping report in text file?
- Fix the Windows security bug: Print Nightmare
- Clear RAM on Windows: via cmd, shortcut, without rebooting
- Turn off automatic updates on Windows: 7, 8, and 10
- Microsoft Windows 11: release date, download, beta, update
- Install apps on Windows 10: via Run, without Microsoft store
- Disable password at login: On Windows 7/8.1/10
- How to enable the screen reader: on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- Enable/Disable device via command line
- How to check power usage on Windows PC?
- Network PC asking for username and password: Windows 10
- How to open MSI file: on Mac, in Android, in Windows 10
- Stop CMD from closing: automatically, after running program
- How to create an icon in Paint
- Java update tab missing: Windows 10
- Execute a script in Windows: at startup and shutdown
- Fix disk boot failure: Windows XP, 7, 8, 10
- Set up your MagicJack: On Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP
- Enable or disable the welcome screen: Windows 7, 8, 10, 11
- Corrupted driver: Code 39, Windows 10,
- Disable right click: Windows 10, Windows 11
- How to use TV as second monitor: with HDMI, Windows 10
- Command prompt: Windows 10, commands, shortcut
- Stay online when switching user account: Windows
- Exe files not opening: Windows 7, Windows 10, Vista, XP
- Most common Windows error codes and how to fix them
- Computer error codes list and solutions
- Start/Stop a Service on Windows: command line, 10
- Removing the files remaining after uninstalling a program
- How to check software installed date in Windows
- Restart Windows without restarting computer: Windows 10
- How to disable network sharing on Windows Media Player?
- How to enable/disable administrator account in Windows?
- How to know if you need more RAM on Windows 10?
- ipconfig command: in Windows, not found
- How to rip copy protected CD: Windows Media Player
- How to eject USB flash drive with a keyboard shortcut?
- How to enable touchpad: Windows 10, on laptop
- Reset PC to factory settings: Windows 11, 10, 8.1
- Restore a Windows PC to factory settings without disc
- How to rotate multiple images: at once, Windows 10
- Disable print spooler: on Windows 7, 10, 11
- .exe is Not a Valid Win32 Application: fix Windows 7, XP
- Windows volume icon: not working, not showing
- How to change account name in Windows 8.1
- Recover deleted music files in Windows Media Player
- How to fix Limited or No Connectivity issues on Windows?
- How to stop my Windows background from changing?
- Delete file in Windows: CMD, 10
- Start Windows computer in safe mode: via cmd, settings
- How to verify Windows license
- Disable print spooler service: in domaine controllers
- Enable automatic sign-in: on Windows 10, 8, 7
- Customize the mouse pointer in Windows 8, 10
- How to disable network access to Windows registry?
- Disable touchpad: when mouse is connected, Windows 10
- Disable Deepfreeze: from Command Prompt, without password
- Add a printer in Windows 8.1, 10
- Md5sum download and how to use
- How to turn off the camera on Windows
- How to fix a blue screen on Windows
- Desktop icons missing Windows: 10, 7, after update
- How to uninstall apps on Microsoft Surface
- How to disable or enable the Encrypting File System: Windows
- Disable the Touchpad when mouse is connected: Windows 11, 10
- How to change desktop icons in Windows
- Kernel Stack Inpage Error on Windows: how to fix?
- How to open the Control Panel: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to share files between two Windows PCs?
- Improve your PC performance: for gaming, without formatting
- Change computer system language: Windows 7, Windows 10
- How to check the Windows version: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Best apps to update your Windows drivers
- Unable to install .NET Framework Error Message 0xc8000222
- Enable admin account in Windows 7, 8, 10
- Windows task manager missing menus and tabs
- How to backup Windows data: with .bat
- How to fix HDMI audio from laptop to TV: Windows 11,10,8,7
- HAL is missing in Windows
- Windows CLIP command
- How to create desktop shortcuts: Windows 11,10,8,7
- How to change the default OS in dual boot: Windows 11,10,8,7
- Disc boot failure Windows
- How to add the Run command to Start menu: Windows 11,10,8.1
- MSOCache delete
- Safely Remove Hardware icon missing in Windows
- How to check laptop battery health: windows 8, 10
- How to set Command Prompt size: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- How to turn off airplane mode: Windows 11,10,8.1,8
- How to clear recent files: Windows 11,10,8.1
- USB hard drive not showing up: Windows
- How to reduce data usage: Windows 11, 10
- How to show the preview pane: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7
- How to fix sound problems: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to disable or enable Autoplay: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to turn off Firewall: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- How to show desktop icons in Windows 10
- How to change the date and time: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Your security settings do not allow this file to be dowloaded
- How to stop automatic restart: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, XP