In Windows 10, the taskbar balloon tips have been replaced by a new type of notification, commonly referred to as Toast Notifications. This article will describe the different steps for restoring the classic notification balloons in Windows 10.
Toast Notifications vs. Balloon Notifications
Toast notifications and balloon tips both convey the same information, but in different formats.
Toast notifications were designed as a non-intrusive method of notifying users of the occurrence of specific system or app events. They are usually displayed on the screen for 10 seconds before they are automatically dismissed.
Here's an example of a toast notification:
And now, here's the same notification, but rendered as a balloon tip:
How To Render Notifications as Balloon Tips
Toast notifications and balloon tips are interchangeable. If you would like Windows 10 to render notifications as balloon tips, you can do it from the Registry Editor.
Press [Windows] + [R] to open the Run command. Next, type
and press Enter to open the Registry Editor. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer. Right-click on the Explorer key and select New >DWORD (32-bit) Value:
Rename the new DWORD as EnableLegacyBalloonNotification and set its value to 1:
Once done, close the Registry Editor and restart your computer to apply your new settings.
N.B. You can revert to Windows 10's default notification style by setting the value of EnableLegacyBalloonNotifications to 0.
- Balloon notification
- Windows 10 balloon notification
- Windows balloon notification
- Ios 15 messenger notifications > Forum - IPad/iPod/iPod Touch
- How to turn off snapchat notifications > Guide
- How to turn off ps4 notifications > Guide
- How to turn off whatsapp web notification on pc > Guide
- How to stop pinterest notifications > Guide
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- Where apps are stored on Windows 10?
- LAN settings on Windows 10: check and configure
- PC restarting on its own: Windows 10, 11
- How to change Windows 10's default photo viewer?
- Show hidden files on Windows 10: via cmd, shortcut
- How to turn on and use Wake on LAN on a PC?
- Clear the Windows update cache: via cmd, Notepad
- Permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- How to disable volume shadow copy?
- How to clear your Bluetooth sync history in Windows 10?
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Update to Windows 10 for free
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- Delete Windows.old from Windows 10: via CCleaner, Start menu
- How to empty the Recycle bin on C drive in Windows 10?
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Windows calendar show week number
- Speed up Windows 10 computer performance
- How to increase your PC hard disk space?
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- Windows 10 desktop keyboard shortcuts: the ultimate guide
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10
- Play music on computer startup: Windows 10, Windows 7
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- How to right click on touch screen: Windows 10, monitor
- Asus smart gesture not working: after Windows 10 update
- Disable Ctfmon.exe at startup on Windows 10
- Fix touchpad on Windows 10: disabled, incompatible driver
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- Pagefile.sys file: purpose, size, location
- How to activate a pirated version of Windows?
- How to change the installation location on Windows 7, 10, 11
- How to open Internet Explorer in Windows 10 via cmd?
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- How to set up the phone companion app in Windows 10?
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- Install RSync under Windows: cygwin, powershell
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Mount ISO files: Windows 10
- Windows 10: Home Vs Pro
- How to display Windows 10 update in Control Panel?
- Best Windows 10 browser: 2022, for privacy
- How to boot in safe mode in Windows 8, 10?
- How to switch graphics processor on Windows 10
- How to hide desktop icons on Windows 10?
- How to change Cortana search engine: to Google
- Take photos with your webcam on Windows 7, 10
- How to open the Windows 10 registry via cmd
- USB not recognized: Windows 10 fix
- How to turn off Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10
- How to use Cortana in Windows 10
- How to create a desktop shortcut for Cortana: WIndows 10
- Speed up PC startup on Windows 7, 8, 10
- How to record screen: Windows 11, 10
- How to uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10