Windows 10 integrates a photo viewer app called Photos, which is also the default app for managing photos and pictures on the new OS. However, you can use another program, such as Paint or Windows Photo Viewer to manage your photos. Read on to learn two simple methods for changing Windows 10's default photo viewer.
How change the default photo viewer on Windows 10?
Click on Start and go to Settings > System > Default apps. Click on the Photo Viewer dropdown menu and select the app you'd like to use.
The new setting will apply to most if not all image file formats (.jpeg, .png, .gif…).
How to change the default program association for a file type?
Windows 10 also enables you to change the default program for opening a specific file type. For example, if you'd like to automatically open PNG files in Paint, you simply need to change the default program association for the selected file type (.png).
Open your Pictures library, right-click on any PNG file and select Open With > Choose another app.
A menu that reads, "How do you want to open this file" will appear. Select Paint from the list of proposed apps and tick the Always use this app to open .png files checkbox:
Click on OK to apply your new settings.
- Cannot open this picture because the file appear to be damaged > Forum - Windows 7
- How To Change the Color of the Taskbar in Windows 7
- How to Enable or Disable the Welcome Screen on Windows
- How to change Windows XP language?
- Cyberlink Power DVD 11 - Change the mouse scroll default action
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- How to turn off system sounds on Windows 10
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- Delete Windows.old from Windows 10: via CCleaner, Start menu
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- How to find the hidden apps folder on Windows 10
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10