Volume shadow copy is a feature on all versions of the Microsoft Windows operating systems that allows backup copies of files or folders on a specified volume, either automatically or manually. To disable the volume shadow copy, the service has to be stopped. The service can be stopped from the volume shadow copy properties window and Windows administrative tools.
What is Volume Shadow Copy?
Volume Shadow Copy, also known as Snapshot Service or VSS, is a feature embedded in Windows 2003 and later in all releases of Microsoft Windows. This technology allows you to make manual or automatic backup copies or snapshots of a file or folder on a specific volume. Shadow Copy technology requires the file system to be NTFS.
Note that once the volume shadow copy is disabled, there is no use for previous versions of a file or folder element. To lighten the properties of a file or folder, you must remove the previous versions tab through changes in the registry. If disk space poses a problem, you can edit the disk space allocated to shadow copies so that you don't have to disable the volume shadow copy.
How to disable Volume Shadow Copy?
- Click Start and type
into the search bar.
- Hit Enter.
- An option for Volume Shadow Copy will appear. Double-click on the icon.
- Change the startup type to Manual, and then click Stop.
- Move to the Recovery tab:
- Set the First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures options to Take No Action.
- Press OK to confirm.
How to edit the disk space allocated to Shadow Copy?
If you do not want to disable shadow copies and would prefer to customize the maximum disk space allocated to this service, here's a quick tutorial.
- Go to your Start menu, and navigate to All Programs > Accessories.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt > Run as administrator.
- Next, type the following command:
vssadmin resize shadowstorage/On = C: / For = C: / maxsize = 3GB
- The / On = C: indicates that the photos will be saved on the C drive.
- The / For = C: indicates that the photographs are those of the C drive.
- The / maxsize = 3 GB indicates the size allocated to instant snapshots. In this case, that total is 3 GB.
Confirm by pressing OK.
How to disable previous Shadow Copy versions?
Now that the service is disabled, all Previous Versions are useless. In order to lighten the menu and properties of elements, it is best to remove it. However, before proceeding with this, it is highly recommended that you back up your registry:
- Open the Registry Editor and locate the following key:
- Create a new key with the name PreviousVersions by going to the Edit menu > New > Key.
- Next, create a new DWORD (32-bit) under the latter key by using the name DisableLocalPage. You can do this by going to the Edit menu > New > DWORD (32-bit).
- Double-click this value and put 1 in the data fields.
- Disable shadow copy windows 10
- Volume shadow copy deaktivieren
- Disable shadow copy
- Disable print spooler windows 7 > Guide
- How to disable credential manager windows 10 > Guide
- Disable system sounds windows 10 > Guide
- Disable welcome screen windows 10 > Guide
- Disable password at login: On Windows 7/8.1/10 > Guide
- How to fix F1 error at Windows startup?
- Change your computer name on Windows 10: via cmd, settings
- Where apps are stored on Windows 10?
- LAN settings on Windows 10: check and configure
- PC restarting on its own: Windows 10, 11
- How to change Windows 10's default photo viewer?
- Show hidden files on Windows 10: via cmd, shortcut
- How to turn on and use Wake on LAN on a PC?
- Clear the Windows update cache: via cmd, Notepad
- Permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10
- How to clear your Bluetooth sync history in Windows 10?
- Reset Windows password: via cmd, without logging in
- Update to Windows 10 for free
- How to install the latest Windows 10 update?
- How to adjust default virtual memory size on Windows 10?
- Delete Windows.old from Windows 10: via CCleaner, Start menu
- How to empty the Recycle bin on C drive in Windows 10?
- Multi-touch gestures on Windows 10: enable and disable
- Windows calendar show week number
- Speed up Windows 10 computer performance
- How to increase your PC hard disk space?
- Identify your motherboard on Windows 10: via cmd, DirectX
- Reinstall Windows 10 without losing data: via USB or ISO
- Save documents as PDF: on Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows 10 Quick Access menu: customize and edit
- Windows 10 desktop keyboard shortcuts: the ultimate guide
- How to remove password control at login on Windows 10?
- Change Windows 10 settings: language and region
- How to customize Mail app settings on Windows 10
- Play music on computer startup: Windows 10, Windows 7
- God Mode folder on Windows 10: features
- How to right click on touch screen: Windows 10, monitor
- Asus smart gesture not working: after Windows 10 update
- Disable Ctfmon.exe at startup on Windows 10
- Fix touchpad on Windows 10: disabled, incompatible driver
- How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB or installation DVD?
- Disable background apps: on Windows 10, 7, and 8
- Pagefile.sys file: purpose, size, location
- How to activate a pirated version of Windows?
- How to change the installation location on Windows 7, 10, 11
- How to open Internet Explorer in Windows 10 via cmd?
- How to send email attachments on Windows 10?
- Open the Device Manager on Windows 10: via cmd, run, shortcut
- How to set up the phone companion app in Windows 10?
- Customize the Send To menu on Windows 10: add items
- Install RSync under Windows: cygwin, powershell
- Send text messages from Windows 10 via Your Phone app
- Pin Run to the Windows Start menu: on Windows 7/8/10
- Mount ISO files: Windows 10
- Windows 10: Home Vs Pro
- How to display Windows 10 update in Control Panel?
- Best Windows 10 browser: 2022, for privacy
- How to boot in safe mode in Windows 8, 10?
- How to switch graphics processor on Windows 10
- How to hide desktop icons on Windows 10?
- How to change Cortana search engine: to Google
- Take photos with your webcam on Windows 7, 10
- How to open the Windows 10 registry via cmd
- USB not recognized: Windows 10 fix
- How to turn off Taskbar Tidbits in Windows 10
- How to use Cortana in Windows 10
- How to enable classic notifications in Windows 10
- How to create a desktop shortcut for Cortana: WIndows 10
- How to record screen: Windows 11, 10
- How to uninstall Microsoft Edge on Windows 10