The Touchpad can sometimes be accidentally disabled on your laptop, or you may disable it because it's overly responsive. If you would like to switch it back on or shut it off, this tutorial will walk you through the necessary steps.
What is a touchpad?
A touchpad, or a trackpad, is the element that has replaced the traditional computer mouse. They are most often found on laptop computers which, for comfort and practicality's sake, are often sold without mice.
How does a touchpad work?
Touchpads use relative motion to work, meaning that they enable you to swipe your finger across the touchpad and have the pointer onscreen mimic your gesture. Depending on your device, you may have the option to configure your touchpad to be more or less responsive and to react in certain ways to certain gestures.
Most touchpads are in the shape of a large square, with two buttons on the bottom to perform left- and right-clicks. In the absence of these buttons, a trackpad will give you the option to click by tapping its surface with one, two, or even three fingers to perform different types of clicks.
When should you activate or deactivate your touchpad?
If you use a USB mouse, you will not need your trackpad and may even find that it is a nuisance to maintain activated. In this case, it is recommended that you deactivate it in your computer's settings. Inversely, if you have decided to stop using an external mouse, you will find it useful to reactivate your touchpad.
How to turn on/off the touchpad on a laptop?
To reactivate your touchpad, first try restarting your PC.
If that doesn't help, go to Control Panel > Mouse > Settings > Enable (or Disable to disable):
N.B. On some models, there is a keyboard shortcut to activate or deactivate the touchpad. For example, on an ACER machine, press FN + F7. Some newer laptops include a dedicated button to perform this manoeuvre.
How to deactivate your touchpad when a USB mouse is connected?
You may find that it is sometimes easier to plug in and use a USB mouse to perform your tasks than it would be with a touchpad. If you do this often enough, you might find it interesting to program your computer to recognize the mouse when plugged in and automatically deactivate your touchpad.
For Windows 10
Click Settings > the Devices icon > Mouse & touchpad.
Under the Touchpad section, uncheck the option next to Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected.
Windows 7, and Windows 8/8.1
Open Control Panel, locate the entry named Mouse, and click it to open Mouse Properties.
Head to the ELAN or Device Settings tab, and check the option titled Disable when external USB pointing device plug in or Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached. Finish by clicking Apply.
How to disable and enable a Mac trackpad?
To disable gestures on your Apple laptop's trackpad, head to System Preferences > Trackpad and check or uncheck the options based on your preferred clicking experience:
Any more laptop touchpad question? Check out our forum!
- How to enable touchpad on laptop windows 7
- How to enable touchpad on laptop windows 10
- Enable touchpad windows 10
- Fix touchpad on Windows 10: disabled, incompatible driver > Guide
- Disable touchpad: when mouse is connected, on Windows 10 > Guide
- How to lock or unlock the touchpad on HP laptop: Windows 10 > Guide
- How to unlock touchpad on toshiba laptop windows 7 > Forum - Laptop
- How to reset your Toshiba Satellite mouse pad [solved] > Forum - Laptop
- How to save ping report in text file?
- Fix the Windows security bug: Print Nightmare
- Clear RAM on Windows: via cmd, shortcut, without rebooting
- Turn off automatic updates on Windows: 7, 8, and 10
- Enable/Disable device via command line
- Execute a script in Windows: at startup and shutdown
- How to check power usage on Windows PC?
- Disable password at login: on Windows 7/8.1/10
- Network PC asking for username and password: Windows 10
- How to open MSI file: on Mac, in Android, in Windows 10
- Install apps on Windows 10: via Run, without Microsoft store
- How to enable the screen reader: on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10
- Stop CMD from closing: automatically, after running program
- How to create an icon in Paint
- Move files older than X days: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7
- Java update tab missing: Windows 10
- Enable or disable the welcome screen: Windows 7, 8, 10, 11
- How to use TV as second monitor: with HDMI, Windows 10
- Fix disk boot failure: Windows XP, 7, 8, 10
- Most common Windows error codes and how to fix them
- Disable right click: Windows 10, Windows 11
- How to check software installed date in Windows
- Stay online when switching user account on Windows
- How to clear recent files: Windows 11,10,8.1
- How to eject USB flash drive with a keyboard shortcut?
- Disable Deepfreeze: from Command Prompt, without password
- Computer error codes list and solutions
- Removing the files remaining after uninstalling a program
- Exe files not opening: Windows 7, Windows 10, Vista, XP
- Disable Windows Store: gpo, registry
- Restart Windows without restarting computer: Windows 10
- How to disable network sharing on Windows Media Player?
- How to recover Windows task manager missing menus and tabs?
- How to rotate multiple images: at once, Windows 10
- Disable the Touchpad when mouse is connected: Windows 11, 10
- ipconfig command: in Windows, not found
- How to know if you need more RAM on Windows 10?
- How to check laptop battery health: Windows 8, 10
- How to enable/disable administrator account in Windows?
- Reset PC to factory settings: Windows 11, 10, 8.1
- How to set Command Prompt size: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- How to check the Windows version: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to stop automatic restart: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, XP
- How to change the date and time: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Recover deleted music files in Windows Media Player
- How to change account name in Windows 8.1
- How to fix Limited or No Connectivity issues on Windows?
- How to uninstall apps on Microsoft Surface
- Restore a Windows PC to factory settings without disc
- USB hard drive not showing up: Windows
- How to disable or enable the Encrypting File System: Windows
- Kernel Stack Inpage Error on Windows: how to fix?
- How to disable network access to Windows registry?
- How to turn off airplane mode: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8
- Disable print spooler: on Windows 7, 10, 11
- Windows volume icon: not working, not showing
- How to start system restore from command line in Windows
- How to show the preview pane on Windows: 11, 10, 8, 7
- Add the Run command to the Start menu: Windows 11, 10, 8.1
- How to allow or block access to Microsoft Store in Windows
- How to fix HDMI audio from laptop to TV: Windows 11,10,8,7
- How to fix missing Hal DLL in Windows?
- How to change the default OS in dual boot: Windows 11, 10, 8
- Start Windows computer in safe mode: via cmd, settings
- Safely Remove Hardware icon missing in Windows
- How to delete the MSOCache?
- How to disable or enable Autoplay: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- How to verify Windows license
- Improve your PC performance: for gaming, without formatting
- Disable print spooler service: in domain controllers
- Unable to install .NET Framework Error Message 0xc8000222
- How to share files between two Windows PCs?
- How to recover your Windows password with Lazesoft?
- Windows CLIP command
- Best apps to update your Windows drivers
- How to fix a blue screen on Windows
- Enable admin account in Windows 7, 8, 10
- How to fix a Windows Update failure
- How to create a Resource Monitor shortcut: Windows 10, 8, 7
- How to defragment: Windows 11, 10, 8.1
- Enable automatic sign-in: on Windows 10, 8, 7
- How to open the Control Panel: Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 7
- Disk boot failure: how to fix it for Windows Xp, 7, 10
- How to change the registered owner: Windows 11, 10, 7
- Find hardware serial number: in Windows