Recently, the unwelcome 'message bombs' have returned on WhatsApp. The texts consist of characters incompatible with the app that block it if you open them. While the platform is working on a solution, we will explain what the message consists of and what to do if you receive one of these messages.
What are 'Bomb' messages?
Bomb messages are texts that include long sequences of strange characters. As they are not readable by WhatsApp, the application gets blocked and closes itself. The messages sometimes arrive in the form of vCards (digital card) that can have up to one hundred contacts associated with them. This is where the malicious code is hidden. Unfortunately, the mechanism of this malware also means that the app does not restart, even after it has been closed.
As we said, this is not the first time this type of message has appeared. It first appeared six years ago and contained 2,000 Chinese characters that blocked the app. In 2018, something similar happened with the 'black button' message, which played on users' curiosity by explicitly telling them not to touch it. Although it was a simple emoji with a black circle, there were thousands of characters inside simply waiting to freeze the application.
What to do if you receive this message?
If you receive a message like the one mentioned above from an unknown number, exercise caution and don't open it. We advise you to block the contact immediately using the WhatsApp web version and then delete the message. Afterwards, it is advisable to change the privacy configuration on your application to avoid being added to group chats. To do this, open WhatsApp and go to Settings > Account > Privacy > Groups and limit the contacts with the ability to add you to group chats.
Finally, remember to always leave a bit of space on your cell phone memory for WhatsApp automatic conversation back ups, because if your phone gets infected with the virus and can not get rid of it with the steps mentioned above, you will have no choice but to remove the application and reinstall it. If you do not have WhatsApp backups enabled, you will lose all your chats and stored files!
WhatsApp has already taken note of the problem and has created a new update in an effort to neutralize this malware, but for the moment there is no patch that works as a general fix. We, therefore, recommend that you always keep the app up-to-date to combat this and any other potential malware threats.
- Whatsapp bomb
- Bomb message whatsapp
- Bomb whatsapp
- Gb whatsapp download > Download
- Whatsapp offline > Guide
- Whatsapp download > Download
- Whatsapp stickers to telegram > Guide
- Whatsapp not verifying my mobile number > Guide
- Change WhatsApp date and time: Android, iOS, Windows phone
- How to fix contacts not showing up WhatsApp: android, iPhone
- Group video call on WhatsApp: desktop, web, phone
- How many types of WhatsApp are there?
- Deactivate a WhatsApp account: without phone, temporarily
- Listen to WhatsApp audio without sender knowing: iPhone, app
- Refresh WhatsApp contacts: iPhone, Android, Samsung
- How to disconnect WhatsApp from Google Drive
- How to know if someone is spying on your WhatsApp
- How to change voice on WhatsApp: app, iPhone, male to female
- How to create WhatsApp contact shortcut: iPhone, Android
- How to turn off WhatsApp Web notifications
- How to customize LED notifications on WhatsApp
- How to delete WhatsApp contact?
- Create WhatsApp link: with message, with name, for group
- How to recover a banned WhatsApp account
- Use WhatsApp with two numbers: iPhone, Android, same phone
- How to forward messages on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android
- ICQ vs WhatsApp vs other messaging apps
- How to use enter to send messages on WhatsApp
- How to view all shared media on WhatsApp
- How to download and send files on WhatsApp
- Blocked on WhatsApp: how to know, status, last seen, ticks
- How to message yourself on WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- WhatsApp supported phone list (2022)
- How to create Memoji in WhatsApp?
- How to delete WhatsApp account: permanently, without phone
- WhatsApp vs Telegram: users, features, privacy
- Recover WhatsApp messages: without backup, iPhone, Android
- Send photos on WhatsApp: without compression, on iPhone
- How to see starred messages in WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- Hide WhatsApp conversation: Android, iPhone
- How to block contacts on WhatsApp: iPhone, permanently
- Turn off WhatsApp notifications: sound, for specific groups
- Transfer WhatsApp messages: to new phone, android to iPhone
- Create stickers for WhatsApp: online, from photos, videos
- How to video/audio call via WhatsApp desktop app?
- Protect WhatsApp account: with password, fingerprint
- How to transfer messages from WhatsApp to Telegram
- How to share location on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android
- How to reduce data usage on WhatsApp: video call, on iPhone
- How to Schedule messages on WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- Change WhatsApp background: iPhone, color, for one contact
- How to send large files with WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- How to reduce WhatsApp storage: Android, iPhone, data
- How to get a WhatsApp QR code on mobile
- Create a WhatsApp chatbot: for business, for website, free
- How to delete WhatsApp messages: for everyone, permanently
- How to change WhatsApp privacy settings: iPhone, Android
- Stop WhatsApp saving photos: iPhone, iOS, Android, Samsung
- Create a Poll on WhatsApp group chats: Android, iOS
- How to send a message to an unsaved number on WhatsApp
- The best alternative to WhatsApp: 2022, privacy, video call
- How to enable on disappearing messages on WhatsApp
- How to convert voice messages into text on WhatsApp
- WhatsApp's new policy 2022: safe or not?
- How to backup WhatsApp chat: from Android and iPhone to PC
- How to change WhatsApp group privacy settings
- How to turn on dark mode in WhatsApp: iOS, iPhone, Android
- How to use different fonts in Whatsapp