Recently, the unwelcome 'message bombs' have returned on WhatsApp. The texts consist of characters incompatible with the app that block it if you open them. While the platform is working on a solution, we will explain what the message consists of and what to do if you receive one of these messages.
What are 'Bomb' messages?
Bomb messages are texts that include long sequences of strange characters. As they are not readable by WhatsApp, the application gets blocked and closes itself. The messages sometimes arrive in the form of vCards (digital card) that can have up to one hundred contacts associated with them. This is where the malicious code is hidden. Unfortunately, the mechanism of this malware also means that the app does not restart, even after it has been closed.
As we said, this is not the first time this type of message has appeared. It first appeared six years ago and contained 2,000 Chinese characters that blocked the app. In 2018, something similar happened with the 'black button' message, which played on users' curiosity by explicitly telling them not to touch it. Although it was a simple emoji with a black circle, there were thousands of characters inside simply waiting to freeze the application.
What to do if you receive this message?
If you receive a message like the one mentioned above from an unknown number, exercise caution and don't open it. We advise you to block the contact immediately using the WhatsApp web version and then delete the message. Afterwards, it is advisable to change the privacy configuration on your application to avoid being added to group chats. To do this, open WhatsApp and go to Settings > Account > Privacy > Groups and limit the contacts with the ability to add you to group chats.
Finally, remember to always leave a bit of space on your cell phone memory for WhatsApp automatic conversation back ups, because if your phone gets infected with the virus and can not get rid of it with the steps mentioned above, you will have no choice but to remove the application and reinstall it. If you do not have WhatsApp backups enabled, you will lose all your chats and stored files!
WhatsApp has already taken note of the problem and has created a new update in an effort to neutralize this malware, but for the moment there is no patch that works as a general fix. We, therefore, recommend that you always keep the app up-to-date to combat this and any other potential malware threats.
- How To Forward Messages on WhatsApp
- Combine WhatsApp chat history from iPhone and android phones > Forum - WhatsApp
- How To Delete Sent WhatsApp Messages
- How To Read Deleted WhatsApp Messages
- How To Hide a Conversation in WhatsApp
- How to know if someone is spying on your WhatsApp
- How to disconnect WhatsApp from Google Drive
- How to get a WhatsApp QR code on mobile
- Create a WhatsApp chatbot: for business, for website, free
- How to message yourself on WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- WhatsApp desktop app: video call, Mac, Windows
- WhatsApp's new policy 2021: safe or not?
- How to transfer messages from WhatsApp to Telegram
- How to send a message to an unsaved number on WhatsApp
- How to view all shared media on WhatsApp
- How to recover a banned WhatsApp account
- Blocked on WhatsApp: how to know, status, last seen, ticks
- How to forward messages on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android
- Create WhatsApp link: with message, with name, for group
- Transfer WhatsApp messages: to new phone, android to iPhone
- WhatsApp supported phone list: 2021, Blackberry, Nokia
- The best WhatsApp alternative: app, 2021, for video call
- Deactivate a WhatsApp account: without phone, temporarily
- Refresh WhatsApp contacts: iPhone, Android, Samsung
- How many types of WhatsApp are there?
- How to turn off WhatsApp Web notifications
- How to fix contacts not showing up WhatsApp: android, iPhone
- How to download and send files on WhatsApp
- How to use enter to send messages on WhatsApp
- Listen to WhatsApp audio without sender knowing: iPhone, app
- Change WhatsApp date and time: Android, iOS, Windows phone
- How to appear offline on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android, web
- Transfer WhatsApp Stickers: to Telegram, Android, iPhone
- How to customize LED notifications on WhatsApp
- Stop WhatsApp saving photos: iPhone, iOS, Android, Samsung
- Get the WhatsApp verification code: online, by email, mobile