WhatsApp is one of the apps that take up the most storage space on our smartphones. If you receive a lot of photos in chats, these are often automatically downloaded to your camera, taking up valuable space. In this article we will show you how to save your storage space by stopping automatic downloads.
How to prevent saving photos from WhatsApp to your iPhone library?
For owners of smartphones or tablets with the iOS operating system, the procedure is similar to the previous one. You will need to open the WhatsApp app again, go to Settings > Data and Storage Usage and then in the Media Auto-Download section, go to each category (Photos, Audio, Videos, Documents) and select Never or choose only Wi-Fi option without Cellular.
On both iPhone and Android you will still be able to save the files you received by clicking on the photo or video you are interested in.
How to stop WhatsApp automatically saving media files on Android?
If you don't want to automatically save your WhatsApp media files to your Android phone library, follow a few simple steps.
Firstly, open WhatsApp on your smartphone and select the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen. Go to Settings, then choose Data and storage usage. On the screen that appears, under the Media Auto-Download section, click each of the three options: When using mobile data, When connected on Wi-Fi, When roaming and in the new menu select which files to enable for automatic download. In order not to save any file, uncheck each box.
Of course, if you want some files to be saved automatically, for example, documents for work purposes, check the corresponding documents box. This also applies if you want to automatically save WhatsApp photos and videos to your phone again.
How to stop saving files received in private or group chats?
To have more control and thus prevent media files from being saved, whether they come from individual chats or groups, you can disable Media Visibility on your Android phone. For private chats, this option can be enabled or disabled by going to Settings > Chat > Media Visibility. For groups, go to Settings > Show Contact (or Group Info) > Media Visibility. Answer No to the question "Do you want to show newly downloaded media from this chat in your phone’s gallery".
On iPhone you can also stop saving photos in group or private chats. To do so, you need to open the chat (group or private) and click on the Group or Contact Info. Select Save to Camera Roll section and choose Never.
Need more help with WhatsApp? Look at our forum!
- How to disable auto save photos in whatsapp android
- How to prevent whatsapp from saving photos
- How to stop whatsapp from saving photos
- Create an Android folder shortcut on home screen > Guide
- How to auto-save photos in Facebook Messenger > Guide
- Change picture mode: on LG Smart TV > Guide
- How to upload clear images on Whatsapp status? > Forum - WhatsApp
- Download Instagram photos: online, Chrome, bulk, free > Guide
- How to appear offline on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android, web
- Change WhatsApp date and time: Android, iOS, Windows phone
- Transfer WhatsApp Stickers: to Telegram, Android, iPhone
- Get the WhatsApp verification code: online, by email, mobile
- Listen to WhatsApp audio without sender knowing: iPhone, app
- How to fix contacts not showing up WhatsApp: android, iPhone
- How many types of WhatsApp are there?
- Group video call on WhatsApp: desktop, web, iPhone
- Deactivate a WhatsApp account: without phone, temporarily
- How to disconnect WhatsApp from Google Drive
- How to turn off WhatsApp Web notifications
- Refresh WhatsApp contacts: iPhone, Android, Samsung
- WhatsApp voice changer: app, iPhone, male to female
- How to delete WhatsApp contact: not in address book, iPhone
- How to customize LED notifications on WhatsApp
- How to create WhatsApp contact shortcut: iPhone, Android
- Use WhatsApp with two numbers: iPhone, Android, same phone
- Create WhatsApp link: with message, with name, for group
- How to use enter to send messages on WhatsApp
- How to know if someone is spying on your WhatsApp
- Transfer WhatsApp messages: to new phone, android to iPhone
- How to forward messages on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android
- Blocked on WhatsApp: how to know, status, last seen, ticks
- How to download and send files on WhatsApp
- How to view all shared media on WhatsApp
- Recover WhatsApp messages: without backup, iPhone, Android
- WhatsApp supported phone list: 2021, Blackberry, Nokia
- How to message yourself on WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- How to create Memoji WhatsApp: iPhone, Android, stickers
- How to recover a banned WhatsApp account
- How to delete WhatsApp account: permanently, without phone
- How to see starred messages in WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- Send photos WhatsApp: iPhone, without compressing, Android
- How to block contacts on WhatsApp: iPhone, permanently
- Hide WhatsApp conversation: Android, iPhone
- Create stickers for WhatsApp: online, iPhone, on PC
- How to reduce data usage on WhatsApp: video call, on iPhone
- Turn off WhatsApp notifications: for one group, sound
- How to delete WhatsApp messages: for everyone, permanently
- WhatsApp desktop app: video call, Mac, Windows
- WhatsApp vs Telegram: users, features, privacy
- Everything you need to know about WhatsApp message bombs
- Create a WhatsApp chatbot: for business, for website, free
- How to backup WhatsApp chat: Android, to iPhone, to PC
- How to get a WhatsApp QR code on mobile
- How to reduce WhatsApp storage: Android, iPhone, data
- How to transfer messages from WhatsApp to Telegram
- How to Schedule messages on WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- How to protect WhatsApp: with Password, with Fingerprint
- The best alternative to WhatsApp: 2021, privacy, video call
- How to change WhatsApp privacy settings: iPhone, Android
- Change WhatsApp background: iPhone, color, for one contact
- How to send large files with WhatsApp: Android, iPhone
- How to send a message to an unsaved number on WhatsApp
- WhatsApp's new policy 2021: safe or not?
- How to share location on WhatsApp: iPhone, Android
- How to turn on dark mode in WhatsApp: iOS, iPhone, Android
- How to change WhatsApp group privacy settings
- How to enable on disappearing messages on WhatsApp