The keyboard normally has the characters engraved on the keys and each key corresponds to specific written symbols in your language. Sometimes, the keyboard keys can type the wrong signs, which can be frustrating. Read on to discover how to fix this issue.
How to check your language settings?
If one or several keys on your keyboard type wrong signs, first of all, you should check your language settings to make sure your current language is set up well. To do so, go to your Control Panel and select Clock, Language and Region.
Select Language and click on the Advanced Settings in the left-side menu. Go to Override on Default Input Method and select your preferred language from the drop-down menu. Make sure you choose the same language as in Override for windows display language tab.
Save the changes by clicking on OK and restart your computer. If it didn’t help to deal with the problem, follow the instructions below.
How to check AutoCorrect settings?
If one of the keys types the wrong sign only in one program, for example, Microsoft Word, you should make sure that AutoCorrect is working properly. To do so, open Word and go to File > Options. Select Proofing > AutoCorrect Options. If there is any entry that converts function keys into special characters or numbers, switch them off and check if the problem has been resolved.
How to switch off NumLock key?
Sometimes typos can occur when your NumLock key is switched on. Just press on it once to switch it off and check if the keys work properly this time.
How to scan your computer for viruses?
The keyboard bag can occur if your computer has a virus. To check it and clean your PC, run an antivirus scan that will detect keyloggers which may cause the problem.
How to uninstall keyboard drivers?
One more option to relaunch your keyboard is to uninstall it. To do so, go to Device Manager (you can type it in the Search bar), go to the Keyboards section and right-click on your keyboard driver. Select Uninstall and restart your computer. The driver will be reinstalled automatically and the bug should be gone.
How to run the keyboard troubleshooter?
If after all the steps your keyboard is still not working properly, run a troubleshooter. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Select the keyboard troubleshooter and run it. Finally, restart your PC and check if the problem is gone.
- Shift key typing wrong characters
- Why is my shift key typing wrong characters
- Keyboard shift key giving wrong symbols
- Shift key not working correctly: on Windows or Mac > Guide
- Keyboard types random characters > Forum - Keyboard
- Lenovo laptop keyboard typing wrong characters [solved] > Forum - Laptop
- Windows 7 keyboard typing wrong characters [solved] > Forum - Keyboard
- Vaio keyboard [solved] > Forum - Windows
- How to type @ on keyboard: Mac, Windows, laptop
- Type 'E' with an acute accent: on Mac, Windows, in Word
- Keyboard won't type letters or numbers: wireless, laptop
- How to type the pipe character on Mac?
- Fix reversed Caps Lock key: on Windows, Mac
- How to fix your keyboard typing numbers instead of letters?
- How to insert brackets and curly braces on Mac keyboard?
- Fix laptop keys: CTRL, Fn, Num Pad
- Fix keyboard using shortcuts: Windows 10/8/7
- QWERTY vs AZERTY keyboards: change layout, quickly switch
- Insert a tilde sign: on Mac, Windows
- Enable the on-screen keyboard: on Ubuntu, Mac, Windows, Android
- Backslash on Mac: UK, German, French, AZERTY keyboards
- Mac numpad: keyboard, shortcuts, emulator
- Type the π (pi) sign: in Excel, on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
- Disable foreign keyboard: on Windows, Mac, Chromebook
- Type accented uppercase letters: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
- Keyboard shortcuts to change language: on Windows, Mac
- Type an underscore sign: Android, Windows, Mac, iPhone
- Acer function keys not working Windows 10
- Backspace not working in Word: 365, 2016
- How to change keyboard language on Acer laptop