To optimise your user experience, Google Chrome gives you the option to allow websites to access your camera and microphone. If you wish to block microphone and camera on your web browser, this can also be easily arranged. This article will walk you through how to prevent websites from accessing your camera and microphone.
Why does Google Chrome need to access my microphone and camera?
Generally, web browsers ask your permission to access the microphone or camera of your computer to facilitate video conferencing, audio calls and other features that require a microphone and a camera on. Though, often companies also take advantage of it and sell our data to advertisers and third-party companies, not to mention hackers who can harm your computer and steal your personal data and conversations. So, it could be beneficial for you to prevent websites from accessing your microphone and your camera.
How to block websites on Chrome from using camera and microphone?
To block websites from being able to use your camera and microphone, open Preferences by going to the Chrome menu<bold> in the top-left corner:
Scroll down to <bold>Content settings, and click Microphone settings or Camera settings to modify the element that interests you:
Finally, under Allow, click the small trash can icon next to the sites that you wish to remove from your whitelist:
If you have already blocked any sites from using your camera or microphone, it will be displayed just above this section under Block.
Need more help with Google? Check out our Forum!
- Webcam access attempted by google chrome
- Why is google chrome trying to access my webcam
- Google chrome is using the webcam
- Google Chrome Error [solved] > Forum - Google Chrome
- How to open Chrome Settings: shortcut, in a new window > Guide
- Problem in accessing internet by using Google chrome [solved] > Forum - Google Chrome
- Why can't i delete my history on google chrome > Guide
- Google chrome download > Download
- Enable WebGL Chrome: 2021, Mac, Android
- How to allow multiple downloads in Chrome
- How to stop Chrome from searching in address bar 2021
- How to sort bookmarks in Chrome: alphabetically, by date
- Where are Chrome extensions stored: Mac, Windows 10, Linux
- How to change the character in the dinosaur Chrome game?
- How to recover Google account password: without phone number
- How to remove guest mode in Chrome: Windows, Mac, extension
- How to disable images in Chrome: Android, iPhone, extension
- How to view recently visited websites on Chrome
- How to see incognito history: Android, Mac, Windows
- How to search for a word on a web page Chrome: shortcut, Mac
- How to close all tabs in Google Chrome on Android
- How to clear auto-opening settings on Chrome: 2021
- Disable hardware acceleration Chrome: shortcut, registry
- What does the lock symbol mean on Google Chrome?
- How to change Chrome icon on desktop
- How to play audio files directly in Chrome
- How to export bookmarks from Chrome: Edge, Safari, Firefox
- Enable the FPS counter on Google Chrome
- How to access Google USA: from other countries
- How to set zoom settings in Google Chrome
- How to clear cookies on Chrome: automatically, Android, Mac
- Disable touch events: Chrome
- How to find saved passwords in Chrome: Mac, Android, PC
- How to change new tab page Chrome: Android, extension, Mac
- How to install extension in Chrome: Android, manually
- How to check Google Chrome: version history, for updates
- Speed up Chrome browser: Windows 10, PC, on Android
- How to remove a Google account from Chrome browser
- Create desktop shortcut on Google Chrome
- How to enable Google Chrome power saving mode
- How to access the Google Dashboard G Suite?
- Restore Google toolbar: in Windows 10, on Android tablet
- How to send link via email with Google Chrome extension
- How to enter full screen mode Chrome: Windows 10, Mac
- How to auto refresh Chrome tab with an extension
- How to make your Google Chrome page background a GIF?
- How to fix Google Chrome cursor bug
- How to reset Google Chrome settings: to default, Android
- Update Google Chrome browser Android or iPhone
- How to turn off auto translate in Chrome: Android
- How to stop Chrome from blocking downloads
- The best Chrome extensions of 2022: security, productivity
- Google Translate extension Chrome: Mac, Android
- The best flags to customise Google Chrome in 2022
- How to enable extensions in incognito in Chrome
- How to see downloads in Chrome: Android, iOS
- How to change download location Chrome: Android, Mac
- How to turn off Chrome notifications
- How to reopen closed tabs in Chrome
- Enable private browsing in Google Chrome: in incognito, PC
- How to block ads on Google Chrome?