To optimise your user experience, Google Chrome gives you the option to allow websites to access your camera and microphone. If you wish to block microphone and camera on your web browser, this can also be easily arranged. This article will walk you through how to prevent websites from accessing your camera and microphone.
Why does Google Chrome need to access my microphone and camera?
Generally, web browsers ask your permission to access the microphone or camera of your computer to facilitate video conferencing, audio calls and other features that require a microphone and a camera on. Though, often companies also take advantage of it and sell our data to advertisers and third-party companies, not to mention hackers who can harm your computer and steal your personal data and conversations. So, it could be beneficial for you to prevent websites from accessing your microphone and your camera.
How to block websites on Chrome from using camera and microphone?
To block websites from being able to use your camera and microphone, open Preferences by going to the Chrome menu<bold> in the top-left corner:
Scroll down to <bold>Content settings, and click Microphone settings or Camera settings to modify the element that interests you:
Finally, under Allow, click the small trash can icon next to the sites that you wish to remove from your whitelist:
If you have already blocked any sites from using your camera or microphone, it will be displayed just above this section under Block.
Need more help with Google? Check out our Forum!
- How to install extension in Chrome: Android, manually
- How to reset Google Chrome settings: to default, Android
- How to turn off auto translate in Chrome: Android
- How to change download location Chrome: Android, Mac
- How to check Google Chrome: version history, for updates
- Speed up Chrome browser: Windows 10, PC, on Android
- How to see downloads in Chrome: Android, iOS
- How to access Google USA: from other countries
- Restore Google toolbar: in Windows 10, on Android tablet
- How to clear auto-opening settings on Chrome: 2021
- How to clear cookies on Chrome: automatically, Android, Mac
- What does the lock symbol mean on Google Chrome?
- How to find saved passwords in Chrome: Mac, Android, PC
- How to disable images in Chrome: Android, iPhone, extension
- How to change new tab page Chrome: Android, extension, Mac
- How to enter full screen mode Chrome: Windows 10, Mac
- How to play audio files directly in Chrome
- How to change Chrome icon on desktop
- Disable hardware acceleration Chrome: shortcut, registry
- How to search for a word on a web page Chrome: shortcut, Mac
- How to close all tabs in Google Chrome on Android
- How to sort bookmarks in Chrome: alphabetically, by date
- How to view recently visited websites on Chrome
- Where are Chrome extensions stored: Mac, Windows 10, Linux
- How to allow multiple downloads in Chrome
- Enable WebGL Chrome: 2021, Mac, Android
- How to remove a Google account from Chrome browser
- How to export bookmarks from Chrome: Edge, Safari, Firefox
- How to stop Chrome from searching in address bar 2021
- How to recover Google account password: without phone number
- How to remove guest mode in Chrome: Windows, Mac, extension
- Create desktop shortcut on Google Chrome