Restoring a computer to its factory settings will do just that - restore the system back to the settings it had when it came from the factory.This can be helpful in situations when modifications to settings have hampered the proper functioning of the system. With factory settings, unnecessary files will also not appear as the computer will be returned to its default state.To reset to factory settings, Gateway Computers can be of great help for Windows based computers. Read on to find out how to reset your Gateway computer to its factory settings.
Reset a Gateway Computer to Factory Settings
This option restarts the computer and restores it to the factory installation of Windows using Gateway Recovery Management.
- 1. From the Windows Vista default Start menu, click All Programs >Gateway > Gateway Recovery Management
- 2. In the Gateway Recovery Management window, click Restore, and then Restore system to factory default
- 3. In the Confirm Restoration dialog box, select Yes, and then click Start
Note: You will be prompted to enter your password if a password was set
Image: © Google
- 4. In the Confirm Restoration dialog box, click OK
- 5. The computer will restart and Windows will load the files.
- 6. The Please wait a moment screen is displayed
- 7. In the Restore from factory default dialog box, click Next
- 8. In the Destination Disk Information dialog box, click Next
- 9. In the Notice dialog box, click OK
- 10. The hard drive partition will be created
- 11. The factory default installation will be copied to the hard drive
- 12. In the Finished dialog box, click OK
- 13. The Please wait a moment screen will be displayed and then the computer will restart
- 14. Windows will prepare to start for the first time - this may take a few minutes
- 15. Windows will continue setting up the computer before restarting.
- 16. In the Set up Windows screen, click Next
- 17. In the Please read the license terms screen, select 'I accept the license terms' for each item and then click Next.
- 18. In the Choose a user name and picture screen, enter the appropriate information and click Next
- 19. In the Type a computer name and choose a desktop background screen, enter the appropriate information and click Next
- 20. In the Help protect Windows automatically screen, click Use recommended settings
- 21. In the Review your time and date settings screen, select the appropriate settings, and then click Next
- 22. In the Select your computer's current location screen, click the appropriate option
- 23. In the Thank You screen, click Start
- 24. Windows checks the computers performance
- Depending on your hardware, this process could take up to 15 minutes to complete
- 25. Windows prepares the desktop
- 26. The Gateway Recovery Management is installed
- 27. The installation is now complete