DuckDuckGo is a search engine that is available as an extension for the desktop version, and as an app for the mobile version. In this article, you will learn how to set DuckDuckGo.com as your default homepage and search engine.
Why should you install DuckDuckGo?
DuckDuckGo focuses on users' privacy. It enables automatic encryption in order to keep your data safe. Also, this allows users to surf the Internet without worrying about data collection. Another exciting thing about DuckDuckGo is that it leaves no browsing history.
How does the DuckDuckGo app work?
DuckDuckGo on mobile works like an ordinary browser. If you use Safari or Chrome, you should know that DuckDuckGo is available for iOS and Android. You can have both DuckDuckGo and Safari/Android and set it as the default search engine. In this article, we'll show you the steps to follow in order to install it. You can also check our dedicated download page to find detailed information about the app.
How to proceed to the DuckDuckGo download?
We recommend downloading DuckDuckGo from verified sources only - for example, you can download it from our website.
How to install DuckDuckGo on Chrome
- To set DuckDuckGo as the homepage, open Google Chrome and go to DuckDuckGo homepage.
- Now, click the Add DuckDuckGo to Chrome button:
- Next, click Add to Chrome.
- Click Customize and control Google Chrome menu > Settings.
- Scroll to the Search section > Manage search engines. Select DuckDuckGo > Make default:
How to install DuckDuckGo on Firefox
- Open Firefox and go to the official add-on.
- Click Download Now and install the DuckDuckGo Plus extension.
How to install DuckDuckGo on Internet Explorer
- Open IE and go to the homepage. Click on Use in IE:
- Tick to make it as your default search provider checkbox and click on Add:
How to install DuckDuckGo on Safari & Mac OS X
On Mac OS X, Open Safari and click on the Safari menu > Preferences > General. Then, click on the Default search engine menu and select DuckDuckGo.
How to install DuckDuckGo on iPad
The following procedure is the same for iOS as well:
- Download the app for iOS and iPadOS.
- Open the Settings app.
- Select DuckDuckGo from the app list.
- Tap Default App Browser.
How to install DuckDuckGo on Android
- Download the DuckDuckGo APK.
- Tap Install.
- Open Chrome for Android.
- Go to Settings > Search engine > DuckDuckGo.
How to install DuckDuckGo on Ubuntu
The easiest way to install DuckDuckGo on Ubuntu is via Ubuntu Package Manager and run the ddgr file. You will have to open your Terminal console and run the following command "sudo apt update". Next, after entering your password, run the following DDG search installation command: "sudo apt install ddgr".