You can configure Mac OS to automatically disable the built-in trackpad of your Macbook each time your connect a mouse. In this article we will show you several methods for disabling the built in trackpad on a MacBook.
How to disable trackpad on Mac?
To disable the trackpad when a mouse is connected on MacOS:
Click on the Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Go to Accessibility > Interacting > Mouse & Trackpad.
- Check "Ignore trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present"
Note: On newer versions of MacOS, the Mouse & Trackpad menu is now Pointer Control.
Enable mouse keys
Another method for disabling the trackpad, even if you are not using a mouse, is to Enable Mouse Keys. You can find this by going into the Alternative Control Methods menu.
Once Mouse Keys have enabled, select Options.
Now select Ignore built-in trackpad when Mouse Keys is on. This will now disable the trackpad when Mouse Keys is on. If you don't want to enable this option, use the esc key and you will return to the previous menu and the trackpad will function normally.
Is there are terminal command to disable the trackpad?
If you are looking for an alternative method for ignoring the built-in trackpad when a mouse or wireless trackpad is present. Enter the following code in terminal to disable the trackpad:
$ defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad USBMouseStopsTrackpad 1 $ defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad USBMouseStopsTrackpad 1
If you want to re-enable the trackpad, enter this code:
$ defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad USBMouseStopsTrackpad 0 $ defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad USBMouseStopsTrackpad 0
Need more help with your Mac? Check out our Forum!
- Disable trackpad when mouse is connected mac
- Mac disable trackpad when mouse is connected
- Turn off trackpad when mouse is plugged in mac
- Disable the Touchpad when mouse is connected: Windows 11, 10 > Guide
- Disable touchpad: when mouse is connected, Windows 10 > Guide
- How to lock or unlock the touchpad on HP laptop: Windows 10 > Guide
- How to clear recents in Mac finder > Guide
- Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max: price, specs, release date
- How to find IP address on Mac: computer, terminal
- How to receive files via Bluetooth on Mac
- Force delete Mac file: in use, terminal
- How to reinstall MacOS without disc
- Repair keychain: Mac, Big Sur, Monterey, Mojave
- How to reset mail on Mac: Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave
- How to reset calendar on Mac OS
- How to delete multiple files on Mac
- Reset admin password Mac: single user mode, OS X
- How to allow downloads from unknown sources Mac
- Apple WWDC 2022: MacBook Air, date, keynote, event
- How to disable automatic downloads of attachments on Mac
- How to change Calendar settings on Mac
- How to save a webpage as a PDF on Mac: Chrome, Safari
- How to use command F: on Mac, on iPhone
- How to show volume in menu bar on Mac OS
- How to disable disk image verification on MacOS
- Apple Mail backup: mailbox, emails, iCloud
- Save webpages for offline viewing in Safari on Mac
- Change MacBook name: terminal, in iCloud, Airdrop, Bluetooth
- Convert JPG to PDF: Mac, online, free
- MacOS Monterey: release date, new features, compatibility
- Apple Magic Mouse: install, connect to Mac, use
- Apple Silicon: M1 chip, roadmap, release date, specs
- Disable disk image verification: Mac OS
- How to disable iCloud: photos, back up, on iPhone, on Mac
- Speed up a slow Mac: Mini, computer, in 5 minutes
- Connect MacBook to TV: wireless, HDMI
- How to format an external drive on Mac
- How to force quit on Mac?