On occasion, the built-in webcam in some HP laptops does not work. Typically, it is not a hardware problem (unless the built in webcam has been physically damaged), and is usually a problem with either the webcam configuration or the webcam’s driver software. In this article, we will show you how to resolve both possible issues.
How to Check my Webcam is Working?
A simple test to see if your webcam is working correctly is by going into the Camera app. This app comes pre-installed on all Windows 10 computers, and is also available to download from the Windows Store here.
To find the Camera app, go to the search box on the taskbar and search for Camera. Once you have opened the app you should see an image. If this is the case then your camera is working. If you do not see an image, you can try troubleshooting to see if this explains the problem, if not, proceed to the next section.
How to Configure a Built-in Webcam?
If you are opening an app, such as Skype, Zoom or Microsoft Teams with the intention of using your webcam, but you cannot get the webcam to work, you may not have successfully configured your webcam. To do so, you will first want to check the webcam settings, following these steps:
- To open up your webcam, or camera, select the Start button, then select Camera in the list of apps.
- If you want to be able to use your built in webcam in other apps, go to Settings > Privacy > Camera, and then accept 'Let apps use my camera’.
- From here, turn on each of the apps where you want to use the camera (Skype, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc)
Once you have done this, open the respective app that you want to use your webcam with and then try again. Hopefully this has resolved your issue and you are now able to partake in video calls. If you are still having issues, then you may need to update, or reinstall the webcam drivers, as explained below.
How to Install Webcam Drivers?
If there is a problem with the webcam drivers, you will need to download the latest relevant version of the driver and install them, after having uninstalled the previous drivers. Here’s how to find the appropriate driver for your laptop.
- Got to the Software and Driver downloads page on the HP Customer Support website.
- From here you will need to Identify Your Product
- Now enter your serial number.
You should then see a list of available software are drivers for your specific laptop.
- Now look for Webcam Drivers. If there is an update available, download the file to your PC and install the software following the instructions given on the HP support webpage.
- Once you have fully installed the drivers, restart your laptop and then try using the webcam software again. Repeat the steps in the first part of this webpage and your webcam problem should now be resolved.
If you are still having issues, go to this HP Support page for a full list of webcam troubleshooting options.
- Hp laptop camera not working
- Hp camera not working - Best answers
- Hp elitebook camera not working - Best answers
- Hp laptop camera and microphone not working - Forum - Skype
- Can't type letters on hp laptop - Guide
- How to unlock touchpad on hp laptop - How-To - Laptop computer
- Restore factory settings hp laptop - How-To - Hardware
- Spacebar not working on hp laptop ✓ - Forum - Keyboard