Ask a question Report

Keyboard mess up after shift key held too lon [Solved/Closed]

barb - Latest answer on Dec 20, 2012 04:29AM
Hi< i guess i held down the shift key too long and even after rebooting and disconnecting my keyboard< i still cannot type certain characters and it won"t do caps unless i turn capslock OFF< and see< no commas or periods at all
can you help me?
Read more 
Answer
+1091
moins plus
I found that if you hold down both left and right shift key at the same time (did this for several seconds), it somehow solved the problem. Hopefully that fixed the issue. Also, go to control panel, click on accessibility options..in the keyboard tab, click on the settings buttons for sticky keys, filter keys and toggle keys and deselect the option to use shortcut..hopefully this will help you and other people that have had this problem.

debenski- Nov 11, 2012 12:47PM
Can't believe that really worked! Thanks!
JackBauer- Nov 11, 2012 08:31PM
AWESOME!!! Worked for me too!!! The double shift thing! I tried EVERYTHING too, thanks bud!
milinda- Nov 13, 2012 02:28AM
Brilliant .thank you
RickyRyan- Nov 22, 2012 12:36AM
Sure, but in 2012 it's "ease of access center", not "accessibility".
gar- Dec 20, 2012 04:29AM
Thank youuu!! Very helpful
Answer
+154
moins plus
Hold down both "Shift" keys at once, and hold "Alt" down at the same time....that's switching it back and forth between European and American keyboard. The way I can tell which mode my keyboard is in is the "=" in American it's an equal sign, and in European it's "ì". Another way to tell is the "#" sign. In American it's a number sign, in European it's the British pound sign ("£")..Hope this helps!

--------Gennie

rabbie boy- Jul 16, 2009 12:23PM
Cheers ur a STAR it worked a treat
sushain- Oct 16, 2012 06:22AM
i can't type two on and zero from the numbers on the right side and only five and six are working from the top numbers. also end key and page down keys are not working and i'm unable to type symbols from the top numbers using the shift key. please help.i 'm using windows seven on my laptop
willie- Oct 26, 2012 11:55PM
That worked, thankyou.
Bob- Nov 2, 2012 04:37PM
Nothing works for me!! :(
Bob- Nov 2, 2012 04:40PM
I clicked something I think by accident and now all my keys are different . However I try it doesn't work I logged of and when I log on it is still not working now I cannot type my password and cannot get in! I can even put on screen keyboard! What to do?
Answer
+34
moins plus
hello,

i dunno what have happen to my keyboard...
i cant use `SHIFT` to type symbols and stuff...
theres something wrong with the shift

Answer
+34
moins plus
This is how to solve the toshiba keyboard problem for question mark symbols and " for @ signs

hold the left ALT + SHIFT for 10 seconds

http://cyfocus.net

Answer
+21
moins plus
my sony vaio cs had messed up two buttons...z and y. i solved the problem by holding both of shift buttons and CTRL. thanks for all advices on that website!!!

Answer
+18
moins plus
I pressed on fn + numlk and it worked for me, hope this helps.

Answer
+17
moins plus
The best advice for me was to hold both Shift keys together, followed by the Alt key. Everything else was useless. A BIG thanks to the person who suggested this. Muah!!!

Answer
+13
moins plus
For windows 7, look up in the search bar "change how your keyboard works" I think it's in vista to I don't remember.. Then turn on sticky keys. I think if you press shift 5 times then it will turn them on or off.

Answer
+12
moins plus
Thanks. My son messed up with my keyboard and your advice about holding both Shift keys at once worked.

Answer
+7
moins plus

You could press those 2 shift keys and hold. If it doesn't work you could press those 2 keys alternately. For example, 1st press left shift key then right shift key then left then right. Repeat that for 1 minute. That's all

Answer
+7
moins plus
Fabulous! thanks that works!

Answer
+7
moins plus
thank you soo much ..... holding both shift keys together solved my problem..... thanks for posting.......

Answer
+6
moins plus
thank youuu :]
i held down shift to long, and holding them both down worked. :]
i was in the middle of some pretty important work,
so thankss :D

Answer
+6
moins plus
you could type the 2 shifts at the same time. One by one but fast

Answer
+6
moins plus
thank you soo much!!!!I had to post. The best advice was to hold down both shift keys at the same time. This was really pissing me off thanks again!!!!

Answer
+6
moins plus
Fantastic - both holding shifts solved the problem. Thanks for posting the answer :).

swaas- Aug 9, 2009 04:57AM
that was the shits bit of andveive ever
Answer
+5
moins plus
ok this is what happened... gy holding down the shift keys for more than 8 seconds it turns something on. i did this once on accident. you have to hold down both shift keys for a while and then check to see if its fixed. if it doesnt then try holding it down for a longer period of time. mine went within 2 minutes but some ppl waited for like 20 so give it a try.

Answer
+5
moins plus
Thank you very much for posting your answer. I am in the middle of a time sensitive document, focused on what I was saying, left my finger on some key to long and BAM my keys gave different results. Google. Got this answer. Did the control menu sequence. Solved. Thanks.

Answer
+5
moins plus
Many thanks, new it was software related when several keyboards behaved the same way (luckily I have spares).

Answer
+5
moins plus
Gennie. Thanks very much. That solve the small problem I had. Handy to know

1 2 Next
This document entitled « keyboard mess up after shift key held too lon » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.