Internet connected but browsers not working Windows 10 [Solved/Closed]

Ask a question cakelady24 1Posts Tuesday December 29, 2015Registration date December 29, 2015 Last seen - Last answered on Apr 28, 2017 at 05:37 PM by Casini
I have a Dell XPS 13 on Windows 10 and suddenly by browsers wont work and other features wont connect to the internet even though in the taskbar it says I'm connected to my WiFi. I've tried: restarting my computer, restarting my router and I've done all the winsock resets and stuff and nothing works. I've gone thru all previous answers to this problem and the solutions dont work for me. HELP PLEASE!!! Please outline steps clearly as I'm pretty basic at computer stuff.

THANK YOU
See more 
Helpful
+26
plus moins
Start --> In run type cmd --> Then "CMD" will be displayed -->
Now enter this command
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Press "Enter".
Reboot your computer"
Spectremjm2017 6Posts Wednesday February 15, 2017Registration date March 6, 2017 Last seen - Mar 1, 2017 at 12:09 PM
I am experimenting to see if it is the firewall specifically that is causing the problem. Turning off real time protection didn't prevent the browsers from locking up eventually again, but so far, the disabling of the firewall is working, but more time to see if that is the key to McAfee problem.
Spectremjm2017 6Posts Wednesday February 15, 2017Registration date March 6, 2017 Last seen - Mar 1, 2017 at 01:17 PM
Definitely the firewall, There is a fix coming, though their tech was vague about exactly when to expect it. Looking at the date of the last update for the firewall (2/6), it matches perfectly to the time my issues began.
Vinod CheriCM - Mar 3, 2017 at 11:10 PM
Hi how did you fix d problem?
Spectremjm2017 6Posts Wednesday February 15, 2017Registration date March 6, 2017 Last seen - Mar 6, 2017 at 11:30 AM
Short term, turning off the McAfee Firewall seems to stop the issue. The permanent fix is via an update to the firewall. This might have started to be rolled out, because I know I downloaded a McAfee update on Thursday, and have the firewall back on today, but until I get through the day without an issue, I can't 100% say the firewall fix has taken hold yet.
Spectremjm2017 6Posts Wednesday February 15, 2017Registration date March 6, 2017 Last seen - Mar 6, 2017 at 03:49 PM
It looks like the problem has been resolved via the update. No problems all day today with the firewall left on.
Helpful
+4
plus moins
I have exactly the same issue on an Asus laptop, the solution worked but then the issue comes back within a day. Any ideas?
Alexa- Jan 17, 2017 at 01:46 PM
Same problem. Yes, it works to when I netsh int reset. I reboot the computer and it's fine. Then maybe an hour later or even 5 hours later, it does the same thing! Have to keep repeating this all the time? Why?
DanaiKam- Jan 31, 2017 at 04:09 PM
I tried the command mentioned earlier (i ran the cmd as an administrator and i checked to see if it was right) but while up to a point it said OK! At the end it said access denied. I restarted my pc and the browsers worked for about an hour and then they crushed again! Please help
Parrotjohn- Feb 7, 2017 at 12:58 PM
This may sound dumb, but where do I find Start?
jillocity 2Posts Monday February 13, 2017Registration date February 14, 2017 Last seen - Feb 14, 2017 at 01:49 AM
With Windows keyboard, press the windows symbol key, and the R, that'Lloyd get you to the CMD line.
Leave a comment
Helpful
+2
plus moins
Having exact same problems as prior messages on multiple computers. (Laptops and desktops - all with windows10) Loss of internet connectivity after visiting a number of websites. OK if stay on just one. Wifi and ethernet seem connected but all browsers just sit and spin. Incredimail locks also. Been using fix above at command prompt. Works but issue reoccurs after 1-6 hours. Have run multiple viral and malware scans. Cleaned out Temp files and resolved any registry issues - no difference. Also, disabled all on board adapters and used new USB ethernet adapter with Windows 10 drivers preinstalled - no difference. All this has begun over past several weeks.
SNS- Feb 13, 2017 at 08:37 AM
Hey, I am also experiencing the same problem for the past one week. Any solution so far?
njoe 1Posts Wednesday February 15, 2017Registration date February 15, 2017 Last seen - Feb 15, 2017 at 09:22 AM
I am also obsessed with this. After trying all mentioned solutions, I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon Fios and they performed an IP reset (not the one mentioned here) and we rebooted all equipment. My tech guy said to make sure I have the most recent equipment They said that they have had numerous calls about this and that it is related to a Windows 10 issue. I thought the problem was solved, but alas, it has returned!
Spectremjm2017 6Posts Wednesday February 15, 2017Registration date March 6, 2017 Last seen - Feb 15, 2017 at 12:09 PM
I don't think it's related to Windows 10, since I've had the same issue on my 8.1 machine at work since 2/6/17. One thing seems clear: there's something going around even if it isn't a virus or malware. My machine was fine when I left it the previous week, but when I used it on that Monday, it started giving me problems. More so in Chrome, but once the browser stops responding, then Windows Live Mail will also crash and none of the other browsers will open or if they do, not be able to go to any website or page.
HXK- Feb 18, 2017 at 08:14 PM
This is a followup of my previous post. Took the desktop to my favorite computer repair shop run by a Russian family. Mostly they reduced the number of startup programs and removed McAfee. They installed MS Defender which comes with Windows - no problem at all now. Works perfectly. Was having same problem with my laptop. Removed McAfee and again installed MS Defender. Only removed a few startup programs but so far working fine.
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Hi Ambucias
I tried this code as explained above however the response I got was that 'intipresetlog.txt' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Pls kindly help me out here.
Thanks
ac3mark 6807Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration date ModeratorStatus April 25, 2017 Last seen - Dec 2, 2016 at 08:54 PM
Considering it is NOT one word, but a command line input, you are probably NOT entering it correctly, or in the correct location.

Did you follow the instructions correctly?

As a review, it was:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

From a COMMAND line. So if you are trying this in any other location other than the CMD prompt (IE the BLACK SCREEN!), then you are not following the instruction!

Let us know!
tnkgunner 14Posts Friday December 16, 2016Registration date December 16, 2016 Last seen - Dec 16, 2016 at 09:51 AM
I have entered the command line, it runs and resets almost everything except the last line says Resetting , Failed Access is denied.

Any thoughts, I was having issues with Opera and Chrome last night so I figured I got a bug, ran Malwarebytes and deleted a whole bunch of bad files, now I am thinking maybe it deleted something I might need.
Ando- Dec 30, 2016 at 12:47 AM
I get the same... any luck yet gunner?
Casini ac3mark - Apr 28, 2017 at 05:37 PM
for windows 10 with no log.txt netsh int ip reset
ac3mark 6807Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration date ModeratorStatus April 25, 2017 Last seen - Dec 30, 2016 at 08:40 AM
Not utilizing the command prompt with elevated privileges (ADMINISTRATOR). Give that a try.
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
i did what u did but it still failed any reason why it does that?
ac3mark 6807Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration date ModeratorStatus April 25, 2017 Last seen - Dec 30, 2016 at 09:54 PM
So what error do you get? What indication? We encourage you to start your own thread, as your issues may be different from the OP!
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot!
gsjmtnman 1Posts Wednesday February 8, 2017Registration date February 8, 2017 Last seen - Feb 8, 2017 at 04:34 PM
This solution worked for me as well, but a I have had to run this command several times as it does not permenently correct the issue. I Wil paste this thread into a MS Tech inquiry and see what the "official" MS solution is, I if any. They will most likely issue a hotfix because this all probably started with a auto update! Linux, baby!!!
Tippyy 1Posts Friday February 10, 2017Registration date February 10, 2017 Last seen - Feb 10, 2017 at 10:42 AM
THANK UUU VERYYY MUCH!!
Very helpful
simple instructions even for someone who had no idea what I was doing -
Was Clear.
on Point.
basically - bang bang : so to speak lol
Quickly resolved

Only skimmed for answers so
Not sure if already mentioned why did this
happen?
To avoid it happening again!
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Thank you Ambucias...your advice has worked a treat :-)
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Possibly connected to "safepay=bitdefender" -- i'm having this probem since using safepay
Leave a comment
Helpful
+0
plus moins
Same problem. If I rebot my PC I'd imagine all my files and password will be safe? Thanks
Leave a comment

Member requests are more likely to be responded to.

Members can monitor the statuses of their requests from their account pages.

A CCM membership gives you access to additional options.

Not a member yet?